We are looking for a voluntary book-keeper who will work closely with the trustees of the East Grinstead Museum. The main purpose of the role is to help the trustees ensure the Museum operates within its budget by recording and processing income and expenditure accurately and reconciling all income and expenditure against bank statements.
Typical duties include
- timely payment of invoices – either by cheque or online banking – that have been authorised for payment
- maintaining petty cash records
- reconciling the Museum’s shop till takings against the till roll
- entry of all expenditure and income onto the Museum’s book-keeping systems
- recording and regular banking of cash collected through the Museum’s donation boxes and shop
- reconciling bank statements against the Museum’s accounts
In addition to the above, we would like the book-keeper to work with the trustee designated to oversee the Museum’s financial controls in the preparation of a pro forma budget for approval by the trustees, in the production of regular reports for the trustee board meetings, and in preparing the end of year accounts.
The role would ideally suit someone with previous work experience in this area in either a paid or voluntary capacity. A handover from the current volunteer will be provided. We are currently in the process of purchasing new accounting software and can provide more information at interview.
We anticipate a time commitment of up to one day per week plus occasional attendance for parts of the trustee board meetings (approx 6 times per year).
Whilst it will be possible for the volunteer to access computer files remotely, we are looking for someone who can come into the Museum regularly to collect invoices, cash and arrange payments etc. There is parking on site for volunteers.
This is a key volunteer role at the Museum which provides plenty of opportunity to work with the trustees, other employees and volunteers. If you like dealing with numbers, would like to make a difference in your local community and think this is a role you would enjoy, we would very much like to hear from you.